Thursday, December 20, 2012

Review: Crimson Frost


Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy #4)
by Jennifer Estep
Published December 24th 2012
by Kensington
ARC from Netgalley
Summary from Goodreads: 
For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…

Thoughts:
I have a love-hate relationship with this series. I started reading the first book because I just love the idea of an underdog proving that she's as good as anyone else or even better. And at first Gwen Frost the gypsy girl is the underdog. Without super strength like the rest of her posh schoolmates (who are Spartans, Valkyries, Vikings, Amazons and well you get the idea), she's really the odd one out.

But now that she has been picked as Nike's Champion to battle it out against Loki's Champion and has the hunky popular guy Logan Quinn as her boyfriend, things get way too predictable for me. It feels as if every book has Reapers attacking students in the school library and Gwen is as always in the middle of it. After the fourth book, it became too tedious to read and I'm wishing that this series will end soon.

The only good thing about this one is the fact that Gwen has became an underdog once more. Falsely accused as the person guilty of freeing Loki from his prison, Gwen is put on trial by the Protectorates and shunned by her schoolmates. It is also interesting to read about the appearance of several new characters especially the cute and mysterious Alexei whom I was hoping to be Gwen's new love interest but apparently he's not into the opposite sex.

As predicted, there is an epic battle at the end of the book where the others finally found out the identity of Loki's Champion. But Logan and Gwen's relationship suffered a major setback (again) and I'm left wondering how many more books are planned for this series.

Will I read the next book in the series? I guess so. This is why I hate series so much. Why can't they have a stand alone book and be done with it? Help!

Verdict: 3 stars.
In my Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge 
Available on: Amazon

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate!
    He always kept talking about this. I will forward this post
    to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Also visit my web blog ; antalyada satilik villalar

    ReplyDelete