Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Review: A Witch in Winter

A Witch in Winter (Winter Trilogy #1)
by Ruth Warburton
Published January 5th 2012
by Hodder Children's Books
Summary from Goodreads:
Anna Winterson doesn't know she's a witch and would probably mock you for believing in magic, but after moving to the small town of Winter with her father, she learns more than she ever wanted to about power. When Anna meets Seth, she is smitten, but when she enchants him to love her, she unwittingly amplifies a deadly conflict between two witch clans and splits her own heart in two. She wants to love Seth, to let him love her – but if it is her magic that's controlling his passion, then she is as monstrous as the witch clan who are trying to use her amazing powers for their own gain.

Thoughts:
Books about witches are certainly my favourite. They never disappoint me and most of the time I ended up really enjoying them.

The book started off rather slowly and I was quite hesitant at times with the so many clichés in the beginning. New girl at school falls for the most popular and gorgeous guy? It has been done so many times.

But when Anna unwittingly set a love spell that actually works, things certainly get more interesting and she was approached by the sarcastic Emmaline and her mum who turned out to be witches themselves. I must say Emmaline's circle of magical friends and family is certainly very interesting and lovable and I found myself liking the outspoken Emmaline much more than Anna who constantly questioned and doubt herself every step of the way. I did not care so much for Anna and Seth instant romance but the relationship between Anna and her dad is certainly heartwarming.

As Anna desperately tried to do undo her spell and come to grips with her surprising magical powers, Emmaline and her friends proves to be a valuable support as in the end they decided to go against the powerful and mysterious magical council known as Ealdwiton who forced Anna to join them. The fabulous British setting, magical mayhem and colourful characters are what makes this story so appealing for me. And I'm so glad that the second book is already out so that I can start reading it like right now!

Verdict: 4 stars.
In my Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge
Available on: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment