Friday, May 11, 2012

Review: Touch of Power


Touch of Power (Healer #1)
by Maria V. Snyder
Paperback
390 pages
Published December 20th 2011
by Mira

Summary from Goodreads:
Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos. 

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...


Thoughts:
Touch of Power is actually my first Maria V. Snyder book. Can you believe it? I don't know why I haven't read any of her books before since the epic fantasy genre is very close to my heart. I love it so much!

I haven't read any epic fantasy for some time now since the onslaught of all the YA urban fantasy books, so I was really glad to read this. The story is enchanting and intriguing and the fantasy world of the Fifteen Realms captivated me so much that I just can't wait for the next book.

Likes
Avry as a character is pretty selfless but with a rebellious streak. She tried saving other people's lives by sacrificing her own but she refused to heal a prince that she hated. Very strong minded girl. The band of misfit characters who became Avry's captors also grow on me. Especially the friendly and bulky; Belen. I did not like Kerrick at first because his ruthlessness and determination to save Prince Rynne no matter what is kind of overwhelming but near the end when he softened up a bit, he's quite charming although the romance between Avry and Kerrick is inevitable,

Dislikes
The book is very long and I think some parts of the journey is totally unnecessary. Some parts are totally heartbreaking which made me sad because some lovable character died.

Verdict: 4 stars.

In my Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge 
Available on: Amazon

1 comment:

  1. I don't mind a book being long, so long as it is good. LOVE the cover.

    ReplyDelete