Sunday, April 3, 2011

the joys of not having it all

I have a confession to make. I have an unhealthy obsession with all things New York. Be it movies, books, tv shows, Broadway...you name it babe. I just like the illussions of grandeur which I know I will never get in my lifetime. Hey,but a girl can dream right? If anyone can cure me of this particular sickness please do show me the way...hehehe.(As Maher Zain sang it in his song).

I've actually bought several books last month but this one outshines the others by leaps and bounds well to me at least. It reminds me of one the first 'adult' book I bought way back when I was still a teenager. Judith Krantz's 'I'll Take Manhattan'. I mean it's just soo glamorous and fun and full of make believe fantasies about the lives of rich people that you just have to love it.Sorry.

One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell

As the title suggests its about the residents of this posh apartment in Fifth Avenue, NYC. Mindy Gooch; the co-op president, Enid; the veteran gossip columnist, Peter; her screenplay writer nephew,Schiffer Diamond; the actress and the Rices'; the new millionaire couple who just move in.

The characters are believable and the story with its tragedies and mysteries has a nice happy ending at the end. (Some characters die). Surely, Candace as the writer of Sex and the City will not disappoint fans of chick lit. The building actually exists! I mean..look at all these pictures of an 11 room duplex owned by a Broadway producer which is actually up for sale.


Oooh it has always been my dream to have a library like this at home. Just a nice cozy place where you can curl and immersed yourself in books. Amazing. And the view outside the terrace is to die for! You can actually see the famous Central Park. (More ooohs..) But that view came with a hefty 33 million price tag.(Damn, and I thought terraces in Bangi is overpriced). Only billionaires can live in a place like this where it was rumoured to have Rupert Murdoch as one of its residents. Wow! In Malaysia, we have supreme condos at the golden triangle going for a cool 3 million. But who has that kind of money?I mean..really? Real estate everywhere has skyrocketed. And for middle class people like me it has been a nightmare trying to find a house you can actually afford. Yeah so the government has introduced the Skim Rumah Pertamaku but middle class people don't qualify for that (as most of us earn more than 3k a month) besides it's highly unrealistic! Where can you find a decent house for 220k in the Klang Valley?Nah.. For the time being I'll just be grateful for having a roof over my head and pray that some day I'll have a nice cozy library where I can just totally unwind. Praying really hard..oh please God.

1 comment:

  1. Me too. I'll just be grateful for what we have right now. Love watching my children and grandchildren growing up in this land called Malaysia, away from the world's worst disaster. Ameeen.

    ReplyDelete